A significant fire broke out at the Lisburn Public Works Yard Friday morning (January 17), destroying the County’s cold storage facility. The structure was used for municipal operations and the storage/housing of critical equipment such as community peace officer vehicles, snowplows, and other public works support equipment.
The County has not yet identified in detail what equipment was impacted but noted in their press release that “most of the stored items were destroyed or rendered unusable.” The loss of this equipment is expected to have a direct impact on County operations, primarily snow removal and sanding of paved roads. It is also not known at this time how many peace officer vehicles were destroyed in the blaze.
By the time fire response vehicles arrived on the scene, the flames had already engulfed the structure, and focus was shifted from containment to preventing the fire from spreading to nearby facilities. No injuries were reported, and the County confirmed via press release earlier in the day that the structure was unoccupied at the time of the incident.
“While this fire has been a significant setback, our priority is to ensure uninterrupted services for our residents. We are grateful to our partner municipalities and businesses for their swift support in providing replacement equipment and resources. Together, we will navigate this challenge and continue to serve our community,” said Lac Ste. Anne County Reeve, Joe Blakeman.
The facility, labeled as Project CP2022-29 in the County’s approved 2023-2026 operating budget, played a key role in supporting and housing public works activities and is located on range road 62 just south of highway 43 leading up to Sangudo. Officials are now evaluating the full extent of the loss and its impact on County operations. The County has indicated that alternative measures will be implemented to minimize disruptions to essential services.
Forensic Fire Investigation Hopes to Determine Cause
The cause of the fire remains unknown and is under investigation by authorities. Early indications suggest that the fire may have started inside the facility, but County officials are awaiting the results of a detailed forensic examination to determine the exact cause. It should be noted that, at this time, foul play or arson is not being suggested but will only be ruled out after investigators determine the cause of the fire.
“We commend the bravery and dedication of all responders who worked tirelessly to contain the fire and minimize its impact,” said Lac Ste. Anne County Fire Services Chief, Randy Schroeder.
The investigation will also review safety protocols and equipment storage procedures to prevent similar incidents in the future.
Plans for Recovery
The first step in the recovery will be finding a new facility to store equipment while the next steps go through due process with the County. The public works team is actively seeking alternative storage solutions to ensure continuity in their operations.
Ensuring Service Continuity
In response to this challenge, the County has taken steps to ensure continuity of services and coordinate with insurance providers as well as partnerships with neighbouring municipalities and local businesses. With the current weather conditions expected over the next 72 hours, replacement equipment and rentals are already en route with the goal of maintaining critical operations with minimal disruption to residents.
It is too early to determine if the structure will be rebuilt or replaced, as either option will require funding requirements to be reviewed and assessed for its impact on the long-term operational budget. The County’s public works team is committed to implementing measures to ensure minimal disruption to their operations during this recovery period.
